Welcoming a kitten or adult cat into your home will bring you hours of entertainment, joy, and loving companionship, but along with that come questions about their care, well-being, and health issues.
When bringing any new pet into your household, you will want to make an appointment with a veterinarian who can provide quality healthcare for your cat and answer any questions or concerns.
During your cat’s initial examination, your vet can:
- Assess the cat’s overall health
- Recommend and schedule any tests and/or required immunizations
- Discuss spaying or neutering
- Assist in choosing the right food to meet nutritional needs
- Discuss scheduling regular checkups to maintain your cat’s well-being
There are obvious symptoms that your cat is sick or in distress while other signs happen gradually and are less noticeable. These include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Eye, nose, or ear discharge
- Visible wounds or injuries
- Coughing or breathing issues
- Excessive vomiting, watery diarrhea, or bloody stools
- Eating less, drooling, pawing at mouth
- Increased thirst or eating a lot/often
- Less activity or agility sits in a hunched position
- Excessive grooming, scratching or shedding
- Eliminates outside the litterbox, frequent urination, diarrhea, straining, or hard stools
- Noticeable weight loss
- Overly anxious or stressed, or more/less vocal than usual
- Hiding frequently – cats, by nature, feel vulnerable when sick or injured and may not be interacting as much with you or other pets
A key component of your cat’s health is YOU…
By teaming with your vet and attending to your cat’s wellness and health needs your furry feline can maintain a quality of life well into their teens…or longer!
If you are looking for complete veterinary care in the Hillsborough (919) 644-7387 or Durham (919) 620-7387, NC area, contact Dr. Jim Miller to schedule an appointment or visit www.myhometownvet.com for more information.
Did you know that if you adopt a cat, My Hometown Vet will provide a FREE first check-up? Get your coupon here.